There’s no doubt we are huge fans of outdoor pools. One of the best things about them is their versatility. Your pool can go from being a field for water sports, to a glistening centerpiece for a backyard wedding, to a relaxing Zen zone, to the most refreshing fitness center you’ve ever known!
When it comes to exercising, you know it’s a commitment to suit up and head to the gym. Depending on schedule and motivation, some people can get up hours before work, hit the gym, workout, then shower and be at their desks by nine. Many of us don’t have that kind of discipline. Enter your alfresco exercise space. You can literally roll out of bed and get going!
The other amazing advantages of a personal pool gym?
- Instead of just targeting certain areas, you can instead get an excellent full-body workout in a “muscle-friendly” environment.
- You’ll be immersed in a cooling liquid that is immediately refreshing and a lot less sweaty than the traditional fitness venue.
The Benefits of Your Pool Gym
From Healthline: “Because water offers heavier resistance than air, working out in the pool can make the same exercises that you’d do on land more challenging in water. The heavier resistance can engage your muscles more fully and also help you burn more calories in a shorter amount of time. Aquatic exercise allows you to get a great cardio workout, while also increasing your strength, endurance, and flexibility. The buoyancy of water also provides extra support for your muscles and joints. This allows you to work out harder while putting less impact on your body than you would on land.”
Considering you want to get the most out of your time spent exercising AND you don’t want to be sidelined by an injury that will set you back, the pool is the ideal spot to get faster results with less risk.
From Prevention.com: This 30-Minute Water Workout Will Tone Up Your Entire Body.
Because water in general may be intimidating, Prevention suggests, “If you don’t know how to swim, don’t worry. The exercises are meant to be performed in less than four feet of water, and they’re moves you traditionally do on land, so there’s no fancy technique here.”
Once you get into the swim of things you can of course add dumbbells and leg weights to increase the intensity.
And unless you’re going for the world record in the 200-meter freestyle, you needn’t spend time swimming boring laps. If you’re not in a committed, competitive relationship with yourself or the Olympic team, then you can add some more diversified exercises to keep you engaged and coming back for more pool time!
Because the water offers heavy resistance, (said to be 12 times the resistance of air) your pool exercises will engage more muscle fibers and burn more calories in less time. Given these added bonuses, if your exercise time is limited or you need to fit in to a great new dress by a certain date, then you’ve found your new exercise room!
This space is also a multi-purpose one, so you can finish your routine with some meditation time on your favorite float. Even if it’s just 15 minutes, you’ll be able to head into the rest of your day with your workout behind you and a clean slate of serenity before you.
Even More Benefits of Pool Fitness
Help Against Chronic Illnesses
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states, “Just two and a half hours per week of aerobic physical activity, such as swimming, bicycling, or running, can decrease the risk of chronic illnesses.
- Water-based exercise can help people with chronic diseases.
- For people with arthritis, it improves the use of affected joints without worsening symptoms.
- People with rheumatoid arthritis have more health improvements after participating in hydrotherapy than with other activities.
- Water-based exercise also improves the use of affected joints and decreases pain from osteoarthritis.”
Gentle Exercise for Special Instances
- Although they should check with their doctor first, people who are pregnant or have:
- multiple sclerosis
- balance issues
- joint injuries
… will be able to participate in water-based exercises with relative ease while yielding the benefits of physical movement.
- According to the National Library of Medicine, “Parents of children with developmental disabilities find that recreational activities, such as swimming, improve family connections.” The welcoming atmosphere of the pool offers “opportunities for skill and self-development within an accepting and supportive environment.”
- Seniors would be best served by a gentle routine of movement to maintain fluidity in their arms and legs.
Efficient and Effective Fitness for Everyone
- Swimming is a wonderful way to make your heart and lungs strong.
- It’s a natural mood booster – research has shown exercise will “decrease feelings of depression, anxiety, and stress.”
- Swimming may even be responsible for a better night’s sleep with regular aerobic exercise.
- Consistent exercise has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity, heart health, and body composition. It can also decrease blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
The Trick to Getting Fit
It’s one thing to acknowledge the health and quality-of-life benefits of a regular fitness regime. It’s another to put it in to action. That message has got to make its way from your brain to your body.
Here are three pretty tried and true motivational ideas. Perhaps one or all will speak to you!
- Put your workout sessions on your calendar like you do your doctor visits. That way if something else comes up, you can remain steadfast that the block is booked. You’re scheduling “you time,” so unless it’s an emergency, keep your appointment and get out there!
- Your fitness partner doesn’t have to work out by your side necessarily, but you can text one another before and after the workout. Send a reminder that tomorrow’s challenge will be ______. You can share progress and reach out when you’re feeling like you don’t wanna! Motivation is everything.
- It’s perfectly OK to marry rewards with goals. Treat yourself to something you want – not something you need – when you hit a personal record or achieve a weight loss objective. This one’s all about you!
At the end of the day, your pool investment will pay you back in myriad ways. From the best staycation destination to your private fitness facility, your backyard is the place to be!
Providing pool and home improvement loan solutions since 1979, Lyon Financial loves pools and everything they do for us. We also love the difference we can make for your family by providing something that puts years of memories within reach. Call 877-754-5966 for more information about creating your ideal backyard oasis.