By the end of the first quarter of the year, many New Year’s Resolutions have fallen by the wayside. Somehow those goals imagined in December felt attainable. And there’s nothing like a bright, shining year to feel full of promise, like a brand-new pool season.
According to an Inc.com article about what people are wishing for in 2019, topping the “10 New Year’s Resolutions” according to a survey of 2,000 people are plans to:
- Diet or eat healthier (71 percent)
- Exercise more (65 percent)
- Lose weight (54 percent)”
Although it seems we have a consensus as to our collective goals, the Inc.com piece also reveals a less delectable statistic stating, “About 60 percent of us make New Year’s resolutions but only about 8 percent are successful in achieving them” with “more than half of respondents said they fail their resolution before January 31.”
The way we see it, there are three tent-poles to weight loss success. It is a hard-won victory, but one of the most satisfying accomplishments you can achieve. What comes with it is not only looking better but having a body that can function as optimally as it was designed.
So according to the Inc.com poll, it would appear our goals of veggie-filled menus and slimming down to a smaller size is doomed before it’s begun. But maybe not.
Every self-help book in the world has probably included the caveat to set realistic goals. That’s Job One.
You are just not going to lose 30 pounds before your cousin’s wedding next month. If somehow you do, you will probably spend the wedding day in the hospital, because you took a dangerously unhealthy short cut.
- Like you would a project at work, consider first the big picture and the ultimate goal including the potential obstacles. Then break it down into manageable steps or phases.
- Be truthful with yourself. You can’t go from a steady diet of burgers and fries to one of cantaloupes and cottage cheese. You’re setting yourself up for failure. Try substitutions and cheat days. Have the burger with a steamed veggie or make Friday pizza night. Just throw in a salad so you only eat two slices, not four!
- Following a fad diet or one that works for someone else will not necessarily work for you. Fad diets tend to be the biggest disappointments, as you can be successful in the loss, but unsuccessful in the “keep the loss off” part.
In a pinch, you can load your freezer with some ready-made diet meals to help you gain dominion over portion control. (Check those labels first for increased sodium that’s often added to substitute for taste!)
But then comes the exercise part. Trying to fit gym time in with your family’s busy schedule and your work commitments. Not to mention the added expense.
There are a great variety of fitness centers – some are alluringly inexpensive – but you are often left to your own devices — adrift in a sea of weight-resistance machines.
You therefore may not use the equipment the right way, or even have an idea about what exercises to do that are best for you. You could hire one of their personal trainers, but that’s even more expensive.
Backyard Pool Fitness
The solution to this problem is shimmering in your own backyard. You have everything you need to tone your muscles and increase your stamina within the natural buoyancy of your personal backyard fitness center.
Even if you play games like volleyball in the pool, you’ll be getting in some good exercise while having fun!
FitnessMagazine.com lists a 20-Minute Water Workout: Sculpt Your Body in the Pool.
In your pool’s shallow end, you need only to execute each of these moves for two minutes.
This workout is a great one to get started, and then as you advance, we think you could use it to warm-up and move on to more advanced exercises or as a precursor to swimming your laps.
Jog in place
- Keep knees high.
- Quickly jump from side to side, keeping feet together.
- Cross right elbow toward left knee at waist. Alternate sides.
- Squat down with arms extended at shoulder height; jump as high as possible while raising arms overhead.
Jog in place
- Keep knees high.
- Lean with back against side of pool, arms outstretched at edge. “Pedal” legs at surface.
- Hold onto edge of pool, arms extended; kick legs quickly.
- From bicycle, extend legs in front of you. Swing up and over to the right, then left, keeping them together and underwater.
- From bicycle, extend legs, keeping feet together. Pull both knees into chest. Return to starting position.
- Stand with left side near wall, feet together, holding edge with left hand. Lift right leg out to side. Do 20 reps on each side.”
The trick is to build up slowly, but steadily. If you overdo your fitness goals on Day One, you may be ready to give up on Day Two because you fell short of your expectations for yourself.
Believe in yourself but be realistic! You can’t go from sitting on the couch to running a four-minute mile when you are just starting out. Have patience with yourself and you will reap huge rewards.
Results and Accountability
According to WebMD.com even just a weight loss of 5% will help lower your triglycerides and your bad cholesterol, help prevent Type 2 diabetes, will give your knees a break, and ease up on high blood pressure readings. You’ll also sleep better and overall; your mood will be elevated.
There are many things in this life we can’t control, but a positive approach to nutrition and maintaining a more active lifestyle are ones we can exercise power over.
If you enjoy sharing your life on social media, then you’ve got bragging rights to post! You will receive a great deal of support from your cyber friends, and you may even inspire some to do same. An accountability partner is often an effective strategy.
With your backyard pool you can of course host great parties, but when you use it as a defense against flab and an ally for a healthier you, you too will shine bright like a diamond.
We are pool financing solution experts who also provide the means to install outdoor kitchens and any kind of backyard update or improvement you can dream up! Low rates and 20-year terms make the decision to splash your way to fitness much easier.
At Lyon Financial, we love the difference we can make for your family by providing something that puts years of memories within reach. Call 877-754-5966 for more information about installing your corner of paradise!